Saturday, May 17, 2008

The 19-Day Adventure of Miss Q Quirky The Globe Trotting Adventuress


Pages from Bangkok Post

Bangkok 11th to 13th May - Quake .. Quake..... Earthquake....!!!!!!!!!
This is the first installment of my globe trotting adventures that will last nineteen days. It starts with a conference in Bangkok. I know, when I started this blog I had only one rule. No work related musings. However what's a rule without its exception and the events in Bangkok is an exception. Anyways I started at day two as nothing that interesting happened on day one.


Bangkok Second day
The day started rather well. Interesting presentation although my head and my legs are throbbing (all due to the 5 hours long walking round MBK center looking for good bargains). Good engaging presenters. I see potential, work I mean not potential soul mates oh how I wish.....

Then it was time for lunch.. yeay I am hungry. Sat besides an interesting American and had a good chat with him. Suddenly I felt faint, the rice looks blurry, I got really worried thought I was having a heart attack or something. Then there was a buzz around the place and the American next to me said oh its an earthquake, EARTH WHAT???????? I said. He pointed look at the moving windows, yeah its an earthquake, I always experienced it back in California he said. Yikssss!!!!!

At that point a lady introduces herself as the building supervisor. She informs that there is potential problem and asked everyone to go out of the building. First we were supposed to take the lift as it is still working. However after a while, we were asked to run down the stairs. I WAS ON THE 48th FLOOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By the 28th floor, my knees were shaking, felt like I am not going to make it. Lucky me people were going down calmly, if not I could have been trampled. Then suddenly I missed a step and slipped. Ouch my backside, then the woman in front of me turn and extended her hand. For a brief moment when she saw me I saw it in her eyes as if she wanted to re tracked the hand extended. I knew it she must be thinking "wow she looks heavy I might regret this".


Waiting outside Empire Tower.. phew I made it down


We waited for about two hours before it was the building was pronounced safe. Then we went up and continued with the conference. Duh.... how boring so the mind wonders. The people around me are so forward thinking, it makes me sad for around me, I have a China Wall I can't move I am suffocated.......


Dinner

Dinner was at Blue Elephant. As the only Muslim, I asked for the Vegetarian Set thinking that "oh well this is going to be a bore, the food is not going to be nice". Oh how wrong I was. The food was nice and it was presented artfully as well. Here's one of the course that was put up for me.


My vegetarian main course serves specially for me

Transportation was provided for us to get to the restaurant. Little did we know that the restaurant was only as far as 500metres from the hotel. Going back to the hotel same arrangement, although the hotel was only 500metres it took us almost half an hour due to the infamous Bangkok traffic. Someone in the Van asked "the hotel is near does anyone wants to walk?" My immediate answer was... "Nope not after 48 Floors". To that the whole van erupted with laughter. Yeay I am funny..!!!!!

Bangkok - Last day
Wow... when I woke up this morning, my whole body reeks with pain. Did not really feel it last night but this morning wow.. I can barely move. Sat through the conference, hoping that there won't be a repeat of yesterday. The time flew by and it was time to go home already. So the conference finish on a high and off we go.

All in all Bangkok was nice.... and I look forward now for my trip to Vancouver. See ya for now....


7 comments:

anne said...

bila nak update pasal canada ni?

Miss Quixotically Quirky said...

Hi Anne nanti la. Banyak sangat nak update macam dah conpius dah. muahahahaha. Anyway had a good day today I went to the English Bay & Stanley Park

Anonymous said...

hey..have found new place we can lepak wen you get back!!!!

Miss Quixotically Quirky said...

Hi ya anonymous, I have been away not even one week and you found places... wonder who you drag to go there whilst I am away... I bet you I know.. har har poor guy..

Anonymous said...

hehe..yup..nice place tapi byk yg tak tak confirm halal but ada kopitiam and starbucks hehehe..btw went to sandra, bj ur mum and tina dah siap..lawa...looks mahal..

Miss Quixotically Quirky said...

hi ya. thanks for checking. I hope mum's baju is alrite. I gave the wrong sample yiks... hope somehow the baju is ok. she fussy

Anonymous said...

might be going to bangkok on 31.5 until 3.6